So. I live in NY. Apple capitol of the the world. Guess what? I don't like NY apples. I like Fuji apples. I think they are the best tasting apples on top of the fact that they retain their flavor well in baking. At least I'm pretty sure they aren't NY apples. Who cares anyway.
I wanted to make a carrot cake but I also wanted to make apple pie. So I compromised and made both. Sorta.
Madeline and Natalie have learned the new trick of taking the baby gates down or climbing over them. Especially the one in the kitchen. THE ONE SET UP FOR THEIR SAFETY. It's interesting really. Multi-tasking at its finest. Trying to keep Natalie out of the Buster's water. Trying not to trip over the marbles Madeline is playing with. Chopping apples and seeing a little hand reach up to grab a apple slice. Slipping on said half eaten apple slice while trying to take the HOT cake pan out of the oven. Trying not to trip over Buster because he can't decide whether to stay in the kitchen or the living room. Making cream cheese frosting and trying not to give into two pairs of large blue eyes begging you earnestly. Giving into those big blue eyes only to have frosting end up on every surface. But its alright! I wouldn't trade it for the world. Especially when I investigate a clanging sound in the kitchen only to find Madeline trying to dip her spoon in the stand mixer to get some frosting. It warms my heart.
Here's something to stuff your bellies!
Apple Stuffed Carrot Cake by Mama Cupcake
- 4 Apples, peeled and diced
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Lemon, squeezed
- 1 tsp Cardamon
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tbs of cornstarch
- 6 Carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1 can of roasted cashews, chopped
- 3 cups canola oil
- 8 eggs
- 4 cups of flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 tsp of baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 4 packages of cream cheese, room temp
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 tbs of milk
- 2 tsp of vanilla
- Combine water and cornstarch and whisk till fully incorporated.
- Add apples, sugar, and spices into water.
- Pour into heavy bottomed saucepan.
- Cook on medium stirring occasionally till mixture thickens.
- Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Grease and flour 3 9inch cake pans.
- In stand mixer, combine oil, eggs, and sugar. Beat on medium till blended.
- Sift flour, baking soda, spices, salt into stand mixer.
- Beat on low until just blended.
- Add carrots and cashews. Hand mix until incorporated.
- Divide batter evenly in prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until done.
- Cool cake completely.
- Combine cream cheese, butter, and sugar in stand mixer.
- Add milk.
- Beat on high till glossy.
- Add vanilla and incorporate.
- Pipe frosting around perimeter of the first cake layer.
- Add apple mixture.
- Place next layer on top and repeat.
- Crumb coat.
- Ice it.
- Eat it!