Today I am alone with the thoughts of my grandmother and her sister. Both had cancer and ultimately died because of it. So I dedicate this post to them.....the beauty in life....the strength of women....and those dedicated to the fight to eliminate breast cancer...and all cancers.
Vanilla Bean Cupcakes with a Pink Champagne Truffle Center by Momma Cupcake
Vanilla Butter and Cream Cake Batter
- 2 1/2 cups unsifted bleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup bleached cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- seed scrapings from a plump vanilla bean
- 2 3/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon superfine sugar
- 2 3/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup cream
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Line the cupcake tins with cupcake liners.
- Sift the all-purpose flour, cake flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg.
- Cream the butter and shortening in an electric mixer, on moderate speed, for 4 minutes.
- Blend in the seed scrapings from the vanilla bean.
- Add the superfine sugar, in 3 additions, beating for 1 minute after each addition.
- Blend in the extracts.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating for 20 seconds after each egg is added.
- On low speed, add the sifted mixture in 3 additions with the cream in 2 additions, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl with a rubber spatula to keep the batter even-textured.
- The batter should be smooth and creamy.
- Pour the in prepared cupcake tins.
- Gently shake the pan from side to side to even out mixture.
- Bake the cupcakes for 20 to 30 mintues until the cupcakes have risen and a wooden toothpick withdraws clean when inserted.
- Let the cupcake stand in the pan on a cooling rack for 5-10 minutes then take out to cool the rest of the way.
- 1/2 lb. unsalted butter, softened
- 1 stick salted butter, softened
- 1 pkg of vanilla instant pudding
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp.pure vanilla extract
- 2 Vanilla beans, opened and scraped
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- In mixer set on medium speed, beat the butter until smooth and silky.
- Turn the speed to low and add the pudding mix, vanilla extract, and the scrapings from the vanilla beans.
- When it is all incorporated, slowly add the cream, a little at a time.
- When fully incorporated bring speed up to high and beat for 5-7 minutes.
- Turn speed back down to low and add powdered sugar by Tbsp., tasting along the way.
- When it is sweet to your taste, beat again at high speed for a good 5 minutes to really break down any graininess that you might get from the powdered sugar.
- Bring back down to low speed and beat for a while that way to get rid of air bubbles.