|Avocado Lime Ice Cream|
March's theme for Dessert Wars is "Go Green". The point of this challenge was to step outside our comfort zone of what we think dessert is. I wanted to experiment with flavors I haven't tried before. This was not only intended to give the competitors a push but Reeni and I as well. Once I get in the zone of comfy its hard to get out of it.
I am a avid Iron Chef fan. Not just the American one either...I watched it way back in the days of yore when all they had was the Japanese version. Everyone dreads when the chefs crank ice cream. Especially if the theme is centered around fish. Since I have only ever used avocado one other time in my life..this was definitely out of my comfort zone. I think its the color. Don't get me wrong I love green....just not in my dessert. Generally speaking green ingredients have clean flavors. Avocado is one such ingredient. I thought it would go fabulous as a ice cream since its already sort of creamy anyway...then I added a big kick of lime and the salty sweetness of pistachios. My husband was very very very very skeptical. However he enjoyed every last drop of it as well as my step son Joshua.
The bandits loved it! Seriously y'all! Madeline wound up eating a big bowl of it. That got me thinking. I could make these into ice cream pops. Back when I did the Pops In a Post with Wilton they had sent me some items I didn't quite use yet. One of those was a star cookie pop mold. I'm glad I used it. The ice cream pops turned out beautiful. I think I need to put veggies in ice cream a little more often!
Avocado & Lime Ice Cream by Momma Cupcake
- 1 qt heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups of vanilla sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 avocados
- 6 limes, juiced
- In heavy sauce pan heat cream and sugar on medium.
- Slice and scrape your vanilla bean and add it to the cream mixture along with the scraped pod.
- Heat the cream mixture until its steamy and hot but not boiling.
- Turn off heat. In a separate bowl temper the egg yolks with the hot cream and add back into the mixture and whisk until well blended.
- In your stand mixer add the avocado meat and beat it until it is smooth and creamy. Then add the lime juice on low and beat until well blended.
- Add the hot cream mixture slowly while still beating the avocado and lime.
- Turn the speed up to medium and beat until the mixture is room temp.
- Follow your ice cream maker's instructions. Enjoy!